Rishi Sunak has announced the Government’s ‘Winter Economy Plan’ following the new measures implemented on 22 September 2020 to stop the spread of Coronavirus – the Jobs Support Scheme (JSS).
- The JSS which will replace the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme (CJRS) 1 November 2020, and will help to keep employees in a job on shorter hours rather than making them redundant.
- All small & medium sized businesses are eligible to apply. But larger businesses only when their turnover has fallen.
- Businesses are eligible even if they have not previously used the CJRS.
- The employee will be eligible if they were in your employment as at 23 September 2020.
- The scheme will support viable jobs so employees must be working at least 1/3rd of their normal hours and be paid for that work, as normal, by their employer and the Government will cover 2/3rds of the pay they have lost by reducing their working hours.
- Businesses who retain furloughed staff on shorter hours can claim both the Jobs Support Scheme and the Jobs Retention Bonus. See our previous news item re JRB.
- The JSS will help to support businesses in industries as hospitality, sport, etc who will be severely affected by these new measures.
We will update our news once the formal legislation has been released.
This will come as a huge relief to those sectors that have been severely affected by Covid-19 already and those that will struggle beyond 31 October 2020 once the CJRS ends.
We are working with a number of clients with employment guidance, such as restructuring, redundancies, home working and absence policies. Please get in touch with one of our advisors on 0121 445 6178 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for a chat to see how we can support you and your business.