- The Government has announced that parents on statutory maternity and paternity leave who return to work in the coming months will be eligible for furlough scheme even after 10 June cut-off date.
- Employers will only be able to furlough parents returning after a period of maternity or paternity leave if they have previously furloughed other employees.
- This will also apply to people on adoption leave, shared parental leave and parental bereavement leave.
- Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme (CJRS) will close to new entrants at the end of June with the last date an employee can be furloughed for the first-time being 10 June 2020 as new flexibilities are introduced to support economy
- The CJRS will be able to be used for the effected employees but will be subject to the taper which is set to take place from August 2020
The announcements bring relief and further reassurance for many parents who may have been concerned about being able to return to work upon conclusion of their statutory maternity or paternity leave. Further guidance is expected to be published on 12 June 2020.
If you require any further advice or guidance about how to manage the furlough process any other employment advice, such as family friendly policies, please get in touch with one of our advisors on 0121 445 6178 or email email@example.com.